Monday 23 May 2011

A journey into Karagita, Naivasha’s largest slum (May 15, 2011)


Today was yet another first for me; the first time I have ever visited a slum.  In contrast to the lovely guarded property on which we are living, the largest slum on the lake, called Karagita, sits right across the road.  The reason for the occasion was the collection of 40 disposable cameras that had been distributed to members of the community the week before.  Participants were asked to take pictures of “the good, the bad and the ugly” in their community.  The goal is to use the pictures that result to inform a documentary about Lake Naivasha that will be made later this summer. 
So off we went, the 5 students, walking 25 minutes into Karagita to attend the meeting at the chief’s house.  The first thing that one notices on such a walk is that the children are either excited or terrified to see a ‘muzungu’.  Most of them are excited.  They run after you, all of them repeating: “How are you?”, “How are you!?”, “How are you, muzungu?”.  (When you reply, they usually smile sheepishly but aren’t quite sure what to say anymore.)  Some of the children even sneak a feel of your arm, just in case muzungu skin is in some way different than their own.  I’m not sure what they think about the touch of my skin, but I hope it reassures them that I am more similar to them than they might think.
The beginning of our walk down the dirt roads of Karagita 
      My second major observation of the day is the type of traffic that lines the bumpy dirt roads of Karagita.  There are 2 common types of vehicles.  The first type are the picapicas.  These are motorcycle taxis, which shuffle one or more customers from place to place.  The second type of vehicle is the donkey drawn cart.  I find these much more interesting.  The carts are pulled by between 1-3 donkeys and carry a driver and 1-3 large buckets of water.  I suspect that this is the water has recently been collected from the shore of the lake and it is brought back to Karagita where it is sold to the community, most of whom lack running water.

These men collecting water are not using the carts seen on the roads of Karagita.  They are collecting containers of water and securing them directly to their donkeys for the walk back to the settlement.
Along the same vein as water collection by donkey, I am reminded of a story recently told to me by our documentary expert.  While she was working in the community, she was giving out tasty treats to the children.  When her bag of treats was empty, she moved to throw out her Ziploc bag, only to find that the children were more excited to take her bag from her than they were about the treats.  They planned to use it to collect water.  This story makes me so reflective and grateful for the basic services that I take for granted at home.  I have NEVER had to ask myself where or how I would collect my water.  I have always taken for granted that I would simply walk to a tap and pour myself a nice cold glass of clean water.  I won’t ever take that for granted again.

4 comments:

  1. This a very informative piece. It gives a clear, precise and conscious image to a person who has never been to Karagita. No fiction. Paints the reality on the ground. I'm also from Karagita but on the upper side called Musaka...

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am also from Musaka. I challenge you. How is your cheap blog helping the slum? I have been raised in the slum, and unlike you, I have a dream for my slum......In the interim, continue yapping, or you can extend a little helping finger.....

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well noted Mr. Kamau. This mzungu talks as if people in Karagita have no life at all for themselves. We don't think we need his/her support.....apelike kwao!!! Damned. Is as if being white denotes superiority..Big CRAP!!

      Delete
  3. MY NAME IS MARIAM FROM SOUTH AFRICA...I SAW THIS COMMENT ON POSITIVE BLOGS AND I WILL LOVE TO TELL EVERYBODY HOW MY STATUS CHANGES TO NEGATIVE, AND AM NOW A LIVING WITNESS OF IT AND I THINK ITS A SHAME ON ME IF I DON'T SHARE THIS LOVELY STORY WITH OTHER PEOPLE INFECTED WITH THIS DEADLY VIRUS...,HIV HAS BEEN ONGOING IN MY FAMILY... I LOST BOTH PARENTS TO HIV,. AND IT IS SO MUCH PAIN IVE NOT BEEN ABLE TO GET OVER.. AS WE ALL KNOW MEDICALLY THERE IS NO SOLUTION TO IT..AND MEDICATION IS VERY EXPENSIVE..SO SOMEONE INTRODUCED ME TO A NATIVE MEDICAL PRACTITIONER IN AFRICA..I HAD A JOB THERE TO EXECUTE SO I TOOK TIME TO CHECK OUT ON HIM.I SHOWED HIM ALL MY TESTS AND RESULTS.. I WAS ALREADY DIAGNOSED WITH HIV AND IT WAS ALREADY TAKING ITS TOWL ON ME.. I HAD SPENT THOUSANDS OF DOLLARS SO I DECIDED TO TRY HIM OUT...I WAS ON HIS DOSAGE FOR 1 MONTHS. ALTHOUGH I DIDNT BELIEVE IN IT, I WAS JUST TRYING IT OUT OF FRUSTRATION... AND AFTER 2 WEEKS, I WENT FOR NEW TESTS... AND YOU WONT BELIEVE THAT 5 DIFFERENT DOCTORS CONFIRMED IT THAT AM NEGATIVE..IT WAS LIKE A DREAM,,I NEVER BELIEVE AIDS HAS CURE..AM NOW NEGATIVE,,AM A LIVING WITNESS..I DONT KNOW HOW TO THANK THIS MAN... I JUST WANT TO HELP OTHERS IN ANY WAY I CAN..HAVE JOINED MANY FORUMS AND HAVE POSTED THIS TESTIMONIES AND ALOT OF PEOPLE HAS MAIL AND CALLED THIS MAN ON PHONE AND AFTER 2 WEEKS THEY ALL CONFIRMED NEGATIVE..BBC NEWS TOOK IT LIVE AND EVERY.. HOPE HE HELPS YOU OUT.. EVERYBODY SAW IT AND ITS NOW OUT IN PAPERS AND MAGAZINES THAT THERE'S NATIVE CURE FOR HIV AND ALL WITH THE HELP OF THIS MAN,,HAVE TRIED MY OWN PARTS AND ALL LEFT WITH YOU,,IF YOU LIKE TAKE IT OR NOT..GOD KNOWS HAVE TRIED MY BEST.ABOUT 97 PEOPLE HAVE BEEN CONFIRMED NEGATIVE THROUGH ME..AND THEY SEND MAILS TO THANKS ME AFTER THEY HAVE BEEN CONFIRMED NEGATIVE,,THIS MAN IS REAL..DON'T MISS THIS CHANCE,,HIV IS A DEADLY VIRUS,,GET RID OF IT NOW..
    case there is anyone who has similar problem and still

    looking for a way out, and he those cast all kind of spell like ::
    Love Spells
    Luck, Money Spells
    Health, Well Being
    Protection, Healing
    Curses, ex, Breakups
    NEW! Combo Spells
    High Priestess Spells
    Vampire Spells
    Authentic Voodoo Spells
    Custom, Other Spells
    Business spells
    Health/Healing spells
    Cancer healing
    Curse removal
    Job spells
    Healing from all kind of diseases
    Love binding
    Barrenness(need a child)
    Need love
    Lottery Spells
    Promotions
    Success
    Money rituals
    winning court case
    Divorce spells
    Low sperm count
    Infertility in women
    Breast enlargement/reduction
    Penis enlargement/reduction
    YOU CAN CONTACT HIM HERE AS (dr.abalaka@outlook.com) and also his state based number text him here if you're in the US: 760-935-3804 if you need any question contact me via here as mariambaurice@gmail.com i wish you best of luck and good health.

    ReplyDelete