Thursday 9 June 2011

My home away from home (June 9, 2011)

There are a few things that you should know about where I’m living:

1.  It’s probably not what you might be thinking:
a.     It’s a beautiful cottage with two bedrooms, two bath and it sleeps 6 comfortably.
b.     It’s behind a guarded gate (although the guards are not the most intimidating people I have ever met).
c.      We have both running water AND hot water (most of the time)
d.     We have electricity (most of the time)
e.     Our flower gardens are always magically well groomed, healthy and colourful.

This is the angle of my house that you see as you pull into the driveway.  Pretty, no?
Anyone who knows me, knows that I LOVE windows.  The natural light in this cottage is amazing. My bedroom window is the one on the far right.

After a loooonnnggg drive up the bumpy driveway, you reach...
... our guarded gate!
2. In the last week, we have had a pair of hippos, a large male water buck and tens of monkeys hanging out steps from our door.

3.  Tony the stray cat is a beloved addition to our household.  She (yes, Tony is a girl) has even won the love of my roommate Sumedha, who swore never to love a cat.

This is Tony with my roommate Phaedra.  I don't think anyone in the world loves cats more than Phaedra.


4.  We eat dinner with our fingers and we eat it by candlelight.  Dinner is usually accompanied by Kenyan beer and followed by chocolate for dessert.

5.  The ants in the kitchen eat more food than the people.  Never forget to wipe the counter when you’re done!




No comments:

Post a Comment