Wednesday 15 June 2011

Too much sun in the Jua Kali shops (June 15, 2011)


            Over the past month, I have discovered that some of specific parts that I need for my science are not readily available for borrow or purchase in Kenya.  Because of this, I have had both the frustration and the blessing of having to fabricate some of the parts I need.  I doing so, I have visited many of Naivasha Town’s jua kali shops.

           The literal translation of jua kali is “too much sun”, which may give you a clue as to what it’s like in these shops.  They are workshops, which may have a small indoor component for material storage or for accepting payment, but all of the work is done outside, in the sun.  Especially in the industrial area of Naivasha Town, they line many of the streets.  When I first began visiting jua kali shops, I noticed the same seeming lack of structure that I see many places in Kenya.  I have come to realize, however, that although on the surface many things in Kenya seem to lack organizational structure, everyone here knows who is where, what is what and functions just fine – it is just me who hasn’t learned!


The two saws at the wood jua kali.
The jua kali shop featured in these pictures (I only had the nerve to ask to take pictures at one!) is a large timber shop where we had some wooden poles made for dust collectors we will be using this summer.  I have to say, that once we explained exactly what we were looking for, they were quick to make us exactly what we wanted.  One thing I found striking, however, is the lack of health and safety precautions.  The saws lacked guards and many times while they were cutting wood, I found myself very worried about the worker’s fingers, which seemed to be dangerously close to the spinning blade.  (Warren, when I see things like saws without guards and men working on roofs without fall arrest gear, I can’t help but think of you and your passion for health and safety issues.  You would find this very interesting!)
It was not to far from time this that I was worried about the safety of the workers' fingers.  The saw they were using had only a guide for the piece, but no safety guard.
This is the router.  It looks like an old beast, but it produces lovely bed posts and other products!

            Another jua kali shop we frequent is that of Vincent’s mechanic.  I have discovered that he is a genuine, helpful, honest man.  He is always quick to drop what he’s doing to help us and is always very reasonable with his prices.  On occasions where my white skin colour has attracted “muzungu pricing” from other shops (translation: 3 x the normal price), the mechanic has also helped us barter for a more reasonable price.  Overall, my experience with jua kali shops has been very positive and a great learning experience! 

No comments:

Post a Comment